Boxing News from ESPN
ESPN Boxing News
- Froch Beats Kessler In Rematch May 26, 2013Visit ESPN.com for the complete story.
- Cotto targeting Sept. 28 for possible return May 23, 2013Miguel Cotto, the Puerto Rican superstar and former three-division titleholder, is planning on a fall return.
- Promoter postpones London card until July 20 May 22, 2013Promoter Frank Warren announced Wednesday that his card at London's Wembley Arena on June 15 has been postponed until July 20.
- Mosley outpoints Cano for 1st win in 4 years May 22, 2013Shane Mosley unanimously outpointed Mexico's Pablo Cano on Saturday night to win for the first time in four years.
- Dominant Matthysse stops Peterson in 3rd May 22, 2013Lucas Matthysse stopped Lamont Peterson in the third round Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall in a matchup of junior-welterweight champions.
- Andrade to have 1st world title shot on July 6 May 21, 2013Junior middleweight Demetrius Andrade, a 2008 U.S. Olympian and former world amateur champion from Providence, R.I., is headed to Ukraine for his first world title shot this summer.
- Geale to make middleweight defense in U.S. May 20, 2013Middleweight titlist Daniel Geale, the No. 1 active fighter in Australia, is coming stateside to make his fifth defense when he faces England's Darren Barker on Aug. 17.
- Alexander was fighting with broken hand May 20, 2013Welterweight titlist Devon Alexander thought he had suffered a broken left hand in the first round of his first defense, which came against Lee Purdy on Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., and he was right.
- Alexander pounds Purdy to gain TKO victory May 19, 2013Devon Alexander injured his left hand Saturday, but he did so by throwing lots of punches, earning him a TKO over Lee Purdy and proving he can excite.
- Verdejo stops Page, wins junior lightweight fight May 19, 2013Junior lightweight prospect Felix Verdejo stopped Corben Page in the fourth round on Saturday night at Ruben Zayas-Montanez Coliseum.
- Jones beats Lebedev, wins cruiserweight belt May 17, 2013Guillermo Jones of Panama regained the WBA cruiserweight title in his first fight since 2011, stopping local favorite Denis Lebedev in the 11th round Friday night.
- Povetkin stops Wawrzyk to retain WBA belt May 17, 2013Unbeaten Alexander Povetkin retained his WBA heavyweight belt Friday night, stopping Polish challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk in the third round for his fourth successful title defense.
- Prospect Love fails drug test after Rosado fight May 15, 2013Middleweight prospect J'Leon Love failed a drug test following his controversial 10-round unanimous decision win against Gabriel Rosado on May 4.
- SI: Mayweather top-paid U.S. athlete in '13 May 15, 2013Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the highest-earning athlete in American sports for the second straight year.
- British medalist Campbell set for pro debut May 15, 2013Luke Campbell, who became the first British boxer to win a bantamweight Olympic gold medal in more than 100 years in London last summer, will make his professional debut July 13.
- Guerrero pleads to lesser charge in N.Y. court May 15, 2013Welterweight contender Robert Guerrero, facing up to four years in prison for carrying an unloaded gun in a New York airport, had his case dismissed on Tuesday after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct in New York State Supreme Court for Queens County.